The latest information on the mystery of MH370: New search proposal, Malaysian government’s hesitation, Ocean Infinity’s enthusiasm.

A leading researcher on the tragedy has questioned the Malaysian government’s efforts to uncover the cause of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370’s disappearance.

The fate of MH370 remains uncertain, despite recent proposals for a new search area and the US-based marine technology company Ocean Infinity working hard to deploy unmanned vessels.

British aerospace engineer Richard Godfrey, an independent researcher and co-author of a study that used weak signal propagation reporter technology to map aircraft flight paths, said authorities questioned the response.

“In my view, the Malaysian government does not want further underwater searches for the main wreckage of MH370,” he said. sydney morning herald.

He pointed to a lack of appetite to spend money on the initiative. He also cited an incident in 2022 in which debris handed over by colleague Blaine Gibson remained stranded in Madagascar after Malaysia failed to pay airfreight fees for repatriation.

Two separate reports in the past four months have recommended new search areas in the southern Indian Ocean for the Boeing 777 that disappeared with 239 people on board on March 8, 2014. .

But without a green light from the Malaysian government, whose sovereign wealth fund owns Malaysia Airlines, the new investigation remains stalled.

Mr Godfrey’s team presented the findings as “credible new evidence” suggesting the plane may have crashed in the vast ocean about 1500km west of Perth, with previous underwater searches Only half of it was covered.

Another research group, led by former French airline and air force pilot Patrick Braley and aeronautics expert Jean-Luc Marchand, proposed an unexplored area of ​​the ocean floor that could be explored in as little as 10 days.

Former fisherman Kit Olver claimed his trawl net pulled up the wing of a “major jet airline” off the coast of South Australia in late 2014.

Underwater surveyor Peter Wearing, an expert in seafloor surveying, suggested Mr Olver’s claims were worth investigating.

The fate of MH370 is dominated by conspiracy theories that the plane was hijacked by Russians and landed at a US military base in Diego Garcia, and former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad’s theory that the US Central Intelligence Agency is hiding information. It is at risk due to such things. About the incident.

Recent analyzes lean toward the more plausible suggestion that an experienced pilot intentionally crashed the plane.

Marchand declined to directly blame Flight MH370 pilot Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, pointing out that he and Breley could not be exempted from responsibility for the “fatal one-way flight under full control.” .

Despite these developments, Mr Godfrey highlighted the lack of response from the Malaysian government to the various papers and information presented by his team.

The Malaysian government had previously said it would reopen the search if compelling new information came to light, but did not comment on the document’s claims. SMH.

The families of the passengers and crew, including six Australians, were left abandoned for nearly 10 years, and the plane itself has still not been recovered.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) led the initial search, which cost $200 million and covered 120,000 square kilometers of ocean floor, but the search was called off in 2017.

In 2018, Ocean Infinity conducted its own operation to locate MH370.

Ocean Infinity CEO Oliver Plunkett has expressed hope that an experienced team and marine robotics will be in charge in 2024, but final plans still need to be made. be.

Related Article

0 Comments

Leave a Comment