Approximately 90 civilians arrested and killed in Sagaing in over three months: Myanmar

According to a list compiled by RFA, approximately 90 civilians were captured and brutally murdered by military councils over a three-month period in 2024. This list does not include weapons used during the fighting or the number of civilians killed in airstrikes.

Over a period of three months in 2024, brutal torture and killings took place in nine townships in Sagaing. The highest number of deaths occurred in Shwebo and Tanse townships.

“If you make contact with them, they will vote for the village. They will burn the village and destroy it.”

At around 5:00 pm on April 6 last year, a joint column of the Military Council Forces and the Pyu Sohoi Group entered the village of Chatou in Shwebo County with fire, arresting and killing nine civilians.

A woman from the village of Château, who did not want to be named for security reasons, told RFA that she was traumatized by the capture and killing of villagers who were fleeing for their lives during the military council’s firing.

“That day, I ran with my children as if I were not crazy. Between the bullets, sometimes I even feel like killing myself. There is no way. They can’t find any problem with their children, and they create problems.” Even people who have never seen a gun in their life are killed, people who can’t find a good job, people who are poor, Even those who have to feed many people are killed.

The dead included seven elderly people in their 50s to 90s and two young people in their 20s to 30s. Among them was a grandfather aged between 80 and 90. Local residents said two grandmothers were burned in their home and four others were shot dead in the village.

Another parent and child and a man were also taken to the convoy and shot dead as they left the village.

According to a list compiled by RFA, 22 people were at Collins in the last three months. 19 people in Schwebo 14 people in Tandam 1 person in red There are 5 people here and 2 people in the water. Previously there were 7. A total of 86 people died in nine townships, six in Cantobal and 10 in Monywa. Only three of them were women, and the rest were men.

A member of the Shwebo Defense Forces told RFA that the military council was killing people to express its ill will towards the People’s Defense Forces.

“There is no way to disband the revolutionary army. There is no fixed location for any revolutionary army. We are all mobile, so the revolutionary army is also mobile, and we are always in contact with the revolutionary army. If they are exposed to revolutionary forces, they will just vote for the village, I will destroy it. ”

It is also believed that the military council began targeting civilians in the wake of the fighting in Sagaing.

U Kyaw Win, executive director of the Burma Human Rights Network (BHRN), believes that since attacks on military councils in Sagaing and Magway regions have escalated, they are trying to suppress them through fear.

“From the Sagaing and Magway regions, the army is mainly involved in the revolution.Today, the military’s human resources are lost.The losses are mainly from the Sagaing and Magway regions.Other regions But I see it being targeted more aggressively here. When this kind of fear arises, people don’t have the courage to rebel against their own authority.”

RFA contacted General Zaw Min Tun, Military Council Spokesperson, and Social Affairs Minister U. Nyunt Win Aung, Zain State Spokesperson, regarding the arrests and killings of civilians by RFA, but did not receive a response.

Legal experts and human rights activists point out that arresting and killing civilians in war-torn areas is a crime punishable by death, as stipulated in the 1959 Myanmar Armed Forces Law and the Geneva Conventions. are doing.

Related Article

0 Comments

Leave a Comment