Chinese driver praised for helping reduce casualties in highway collapse that killed 48 people

BEIJING (AP) – A Chinese truck driver was praised in local media on Saturday for parking his car across a highway and preventing another car from going downhill on a stretch of road in the country’s southern mountains. It was done. folded and killed at least 48 people.

Wang Xiangnan was driving on a highway in Guangdong province, an important economic hub in southern China, on Wednesday. According to local media, around 2 a.m., Wang saw several vehicles traveling in the opposite direction on the four-lane highway and immediately alerted his fellow motorists about the collapse.

Wang, a former military man, reacted quickly and positioned his truck to block the highway, effectively blocking dozens of vehicles from entering the dangerous road, Jiufai News reported. conveyed the statement. Meanwhile, his wife got out of the truck to alert other drivers of the situation.

“I didn’t think much. I just wanted to stop the vehicle,” Wang told a Chinese news agency.

Mr. Wang’s courageous actions not only earned him praise from Chinese social media users, but also recognition from the China Workers’ Development Foundation.

The foundation announced Friday that it partnered with an automobile company to award Mr. Wang 10,000 yuan ($1,414). A charity project in collaboration with technology giant Alibaba Group Holding also donated the same amount to Wang, newspaper Yamato Daily reported. Mr. Wang told the paper that he would donate the money to the families of the collapse victims.

Local media also reported that another man knelt on the highway to block traffic.

The accident occurred after a month of heavy rain in Guangdong province. Some of the 23 vehicles that plunged into the deep ravine burst into flames, emitting thick smoke.

Approximately 30 people were hospitalized. State broadcaster CCTV reported on Saturday that one person had been discharged from hospital. The others were improving, but one remains in serious condition.

On Saturday, the government of Meizhou, Guangdong province, announced in a statement that authorities would inspect highways, railways and roads in mountain areas across the city. Southcn.com reports that a team led by the governor is investigating the cause of the collapse.

The Chinese government is sent the vice prime minister It followed calls from President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Qiang, the party’s No. 2 leader, to quickly respond to the tragedy, oversee recovery efforts and strengthen security measures.

The deployment of Zhang, who is also a member of the ruling Communist Party’s leadership body, signals concerns about a possible public backlash over the disaster, the latest in a series of deadly infrastructure failures.

Related Article

0 Comments

Leave a Comment