Hamas delegation leaves Cairo, Gaza ceasefire talks at critical stage | Israel’s war in Gaza News

Negotiations over a possible ceasefire in the Gaza conflict come as Hamas reiterates its demands for an end to Israeli attacks on Palestinian territory in exchange for the release of prisoners, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu flatly rejects such an outcome. is at a critical stage.

On Sunday, both countries blamed each other for the impasse. In a second day of talks with Egyptian and Qatari mediators, Hamas negotiators maintained their position that any ceasefire agreement must include an end to the war, Palestinian officials said.

Although Israeli officials did not travel to Cairo to take part in indirect diplomacy, Netanyahu on Sunday reiterated Israel’s goal of disarming and dismantling Hamas since the war began nearly seven months ago.

He said Israel was prepared to suspend fighting in Gaza to ensure the release of more than 100 hostages still held by Hamas.

“But while Israel has shown its willingness, Hamas remains committed to extreme positions, first of all to withdraw all our troops from the Gaza Strip, end the war, and remove Hamas from power. It is required to remain in place,” Prime Minister Netanyahu said.

“Israel cannot accept that,” he said.

In a statement released shortly after Netanyahu, Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Hanyahu accused him of “continuing aggression, widening the circle of conflict, and obstructing efforts by mediators and various parties.”

A Hamas delegation taking part in Gaza ceasefire negotiations in Cairo has departed and is expected to return for further talks on Tuesday, Egyptian state media said.

“The Hamas delegation left Cairo tonight.” [Sunday] Al-Kahera News, a site linked to Egyptian intelligence, cited unnamed “sources” who were in Doha to hold talks on a cease-fire with Israel and said they would return on Tuesday to begin negotiations. I told him I was planning to finish it.

Reporting from Ramallah in the occupied West Bank, NDMT’s Bernard Smith reports that Israel insists any deal would include only a cessation of fighting, not a permanent end to hostilities. said.

“The argument from the Israeli side is that the most Hamas can get is this initial 40-day ceasefire in exchange for the release of 33 Israeli prisoners and a number of Palestinian prisoners,” he said.

“There is an argument from Hamas that any agreement with Israel should lead to an end to the war and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza,” Smith added.

Meanwhile, CIA Director William Burns, who was in Cairo, was also in Doha for an emergency meeting with the Qatari prime minister, officials briefed on the meeting said late Sunday.

“Mr Burns is on his way to Doha for emergency talks with the Qatari prime minister aimed at putting maximum pressure on Israel and Hamas to continue negotiations,” the official told Reuters.

The US government pressured Hamas to accept Israel’s latest offer.

Rafa’s attack

The talks took place amid signs that Israel is preparing to attack Rafah in southern Gaza, where more than a million Palestinians have taken refuge.

Israel believes thousands of Hamas fighters are trapped in the city, with possibly dozens of prisoners also.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said on Friday that such an invasion would put hundreds of thousands of lives at risk and deal a major blow to aid efforts across the enclave.

Gaza residents and health officials said Israeli planes and tanks continued to attack the Palestinian enclave throughout the night, killing and wounding several people.

Hamas militants on Sunday claimed responsibility for the attack near the Karem Abu Salem crossing between Israel and Gaza, the main entry point for humanitarian access to Gaza. The Israeli military said the crossing, known to Israelis as Kerem Shalom, had been closed following a rocket attack.

At least 34,683 people, mostly women and children, have been killed and 78,018 injured in Israel’s war in Gaza since October, according to the Palestinian Authority.

Israel launched the offensive after Hamas attacked southern Israel on October 7, killing at least 1,139 people, according to an NDMT tally based on Israeli statistics.

Related Article

0 Comments

Leave a Comment