Dozens trapped in deadly building collapse

Rescuers are searching for survivors after a five-storey building under construction collapsed in South Africa, killing five people and leaving at least 50 stranded.

Authorities in George, Western Cape province, said 24 people had been pulled from the wreckage and taken to hospital.

About 75 crew members were on the scene when the building collapsed on Monday afternoon.

The cause of the incident in the coastal city is under investigation.

Emergency services rushed to the scene after the building collapsed at 14:09 local time (12:09 Japan time).

Two of the 22 people pulled from the wreckage died from their injuries. Three more deaths have since been reported.

George Mayor Aldo van Wyk said: “Our thoughts are with the families and everyone affected who are still waiting to hear from their loved ones.”

More than 100 rescue workers with sniffer dogs worked through the night searching for people trapped inside the building. We use heavy machinery to assist in our work.

Officials said they were able to contact some of the people who were under the rubble.

Photos have been released showing the construction site completely flattened, with part of the building’s roof resting on rubble.

“I saw a guy doing his job, and then ‘boom’ and I saw the whole building collapse…I’m traumatized too. It’s very sad,” said Teresa Jay, a local councilor. Reuters reported.

Related Article

0 Comments

Leave a Comment