Malaysian footballer Faisal Halim seeks justice after acid attack | Football News

A Malaysian footballer who was seriously injured after being attacked with acid last month said on Thursday he wanted the perpetrators to be brought to justice swiftly.

Appearing in public for the first time since the May 5 attack, a visibly hurt and emotional Faisal Halim told a news conference he would focus on recovering before trying to return to football.

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to return to football, but I hope that everyone will pray for me to return to the football stage,” he said. “I want to continue living a normal life, like everyone else, like other players.”

“We hope that the culprits are caught as soon as possible and prosecuted in court,” he added.

Faisal, a winger for the Malaysian national team and national club Selangor FC, was attacked at a shopping mall and suffered fourth-degree burns to his face, arms and torso, affecting his speech and movements.

The incident was one of a series of attacks on Malaysian footballers that month, but police have denied the cases are linked.

Faisal, who is known by the nickname Mickey, refused to speculate on the motives for the attack but acknowledged that it had traumatised him and his family.

“I would rather lose thousands of dollars and quit football if it meant I and my family were safe, but the support and prayers of the public gave me the strength to carry on,” he said.

Following the attacks on Faisal and other footballers, some clubs have stepped up security.

Related Article

0 Comments

Leave a Comment