Johor expressway expansion project will not disrupt traffic flow – Malaysian Highways Agency chief

JOHOR BARU (June 20): The project to widen the North-South Expressway (NSE) between Senai Utara and Sedenak from four to six lanes, scheduled to commence later this month, will not disrupt traffic flow.

Malaysian Highways Authority (MHA) chairman Datuk Seri Hasni Mohamad said the existing two lanes in both directions would remain open to road users during the upgrade work.

“The construction of the third lane will narrow the road slightly and may pose a challenge especially for heavy vehicles,” he told reporters after a memorandum of understanding signing ceremony between Paragon Grove and UOB Malaysia here on Thursday.

He said the MHA will soon be issuing letters of acceptance to the awarded contractors and that the first and second phases of the initial package are expected to take 36 months to complete in both directions.

Regarding the Sunai-Desaru Expressway widening project, Hasni said renovation work is also expected to begin later this month.

“The duration of the project is 24 months. The highway, which currently has two lanes in both directions, will be widened to four lanes. The appointment of the contractor will be completed soon,” said the former Johor state Menteri Besar.

While presenting the Budget 2024 in October last year, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim announced the NSE four-lane to six-lane widening project, extending from Sedenak to Simpang Rengam, at a cost of RM931 million.

Currently, the 6-8 lane section of the NSE heading south from Kuala Lumpur ends in Melaka.

Uploader: Lam Seng Fatt

Related Article

0 Comments

Leave a Comment