New hope for families of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 passengers – World News

Following a proposal by a US company to launch a new search for the missing flight MH370, the Malaysian government said it would consider the proposal to see if there is any credible new evidence.

The government’s announcement that a new search may be launched has given the family new hope.(Nazli Mohammad/EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock)

Families of those missing from Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 have found new hope as Malaysian authorities call for the search for the plane to be resumed.

This Friday marks 10 years since the Boeing 777 went missing while en route from the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, China, with 227 passengers and the pilot on board. In 2017, Malaysia, Australia and China completed a two-year underwater search that cost an estimated $130 million (£102 million), but the mystery has not been solved.




Malaysian authorities said Sunday they may resume the search after a U.S. company that took part in the search in 2018 proposed a new search in the southern Indian Ocean. Transport Minister Anthony Roque said he would invite Texas-based marine robotics company Ocean Infinity to explain its latest “find it, pay it” offer, stressing the government’s determination to do all it can to find the missing plane.

Relatives of the passengers gathered yesterday for a day of mourning.(Supian Ahmad/NurPhoto/REX/Shutterstock)

The Southeast Asian country’s government has long maintained it would not support a renewed search without new leads on the plane’s whereabouts, but Roque said he would seek cabinet approval to sign a new contract to resume the search if the evidence was credible.

“The government is committed to finding flight MH370,” Roque said at a ceremony marking the 10th anniversary of the plane’s disappearance. “We sincerely hope that the search will result in the recovery of the plane and that the families of the victims will be given the truth.”

The Boeing 777 disappeared from radar shortly after takeoff on March 8, 2014. Satellite data showed the plane veered off course and headed over the southern Indian Ocean, where it appears to have crashed.

This week marks 10 years since the plane went missing.(Supian Ahmad/NurPhoto/REX/Shutterstock)

A costly multinational search turned up no clues, but wreckage has washed up on the coast of East Africa and on islands in the Indian Ocean, and a private search conducted by Ocean Infinity in 2018 also turned up nothing.

The tragedy sparked a push to strengthen aviation safety. VPR Nathan, a member of the Boyce MH370 family group, said Ocean Infinity had originally planned to conduct the search last year but was delayed due to the arrival of new aircraft. They now plan to resume the search, he said.

0 Comments

Leave a Comment